Painted Ladies in Downtown Colorado Springs

Painted Ladies could refer to “Ladies of the Night” in the Wild West, or it is a reference to Victorian and Edwardian homes that have been painted in three or more colors to accentuate the detail of the workmanship on these beautiful old homes. The term “Painted Lady” was not used to describe homes until the late 1970’s.

The Lennox House

1339 North Nevada Avenue
The Lennox House Bed and Breakfast, a Queen Anne Victorian built by the “poor” Lennox brother, John, has been well taken care of in its 120 year history. The stained-glass window that graces the dining room was a gift from brother William, and cost more than the price of the home when it was built in 1890.

First Colorado Springs House Built to Last

423 North Cascade Avenue
The McAllister House was the first permanent house in Colorado Springs. Because of the attention to the construction of his home, Henry McAllister insured that it would also be one of the last homes standing.